Never heard of vegan shrimp and grits before, well you’re not alone! The recipe and photo comes from the fierce and fabulous @dangerousvegan9 on Instagram. This vegan shrimp and grits recipe is to live for and a must for anyone who wants to stop eating food that had a face.
NOLA STYLE Vegan Shrimp and grits
Vegan Shrimp, gouda vegan cheese
Beyond meat Italian sausage
3 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups of dried grits
1. Bring 2.5 cups of water to a boil with 1 tbsp of sea salt
2. Add grits to boiling water and stir frequently for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and put lid on for a slow cook
3. Once grits are ccoked add 1/2 cup of hemp milk and butter and bouillon to taste.
4. Add in lots of vegan gouda cheese and put lid back on so cheese can melt on a a low flame
Prepare vegan Shrimp
1. Marinate while grits are cooking. Sea salt, old bay, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper
2. Heat up some grapeseed oil and minced garlic
3. Pan fry shrimp 5 minutes on each side… note vegan shrimp are big so i normally cut in half
4. Remove vegan shrimp from skillet and pan fry beyond meat sausage to render the grease
5. Cut sausages to desired size
Assemble Vegan Shrimp and Grits
Cheese gouda grits
Sausage and sheiks
Top with green onion and enjoy!
@DangerousVegan9 is vegan goals!
Shicann Phillips wanted a healthier lifestyle and after making the mental shift, she hasn’t looked back since. This amazing and creative woman went vegan cold turkey at the start of 2015. Her disciplined food choices show in her fit physique. The delicious recipes she posts on the gram show off a combination of her skillz in the kitchen and her passion for tasty food. “I dream of recipes or food and I can’t rest until I create them, and they always turn out how I envision them”, she says.
What is Vegan Shrimp
Shicann explains exactly what vegan shrimp is and where to find it. She says, “They are made from Konjack root, and if cooked and prepared right, the texture is spot on and so is the flavor.” She also suggests marinading them in kelp for a stronger shrimp flavor. You can find vegan shrimp in most Asian markets.
Vegan Catering in Atlanta!
If you are in the Atlanta area, contact Shiccan for vegan catering at your next event! Her vegan meal prep and catering business provides a wide variety of vegan menus for any venue. Contact Shicann_Phillips@hotmail.com today!